Martensen Jones Interiors
I recently had a chat with Jan from Martensen Jones Interiors and she arranged to have all of these beautiful images from their portfolio sent my way to inspire decor8 readers today. I also asked her a few questions about Martensen Jones in Dallas, which has been in practice for four years, to learn more about this design studio and so you can find my questions and her replies below.
First, a little about the lovely ladies behind the firm. "Lisa Martensen and Jan Jones have each worked in the advertising, editorial, and retail industry for over 25 years as make-up, fashion, and interior stylists. Lisa has a degree in Interior Design and Jan has a BFA in Art History."
What inspires you both? FASHION! Also movies, travel... staying in beautifully designed hotels, museums, architecture, nature: the colors of the sky and water. Who are some of your favorite interior designers? Vincente Wolf, John Saladino, Susan Ferrier, Suzanne Kasler, Thomas O'Brien, David Hicks, Billy Baldwin, Michael Taylor and John Dickinson.
What are some quick design tips you can give decor8 readers today?
- Go with white slipcovered sofas... the easiest to maintain because they don't fade and can be laundered and bleached.
- Every room needs black and punches of WHITE.
- Every chair needs a place to set a drink.
- If you can't afford good art, buy a great mirror.
- Never buy an antique unless you can use it.
- Seagrass is like a classic pair of khakis.
- Never underestimate good accessories...they are like a great pair of shoes!
- Skirts on upholstered furniture make a room less nervous.
- Even a period room needs a mod piece to shake it up.
- Buy good quality and buy once.
- Educate yourself.
"They attribute their vision and sense of style in their design of interior spaces to their extensive travels, passion for found objects, and experience behind the camera."
Ladies can you please give us a list of trends that are currently hot...
- White French plaster
- Brutally modern lighting
- Cerused oak
- Modern wicker
- European rustic
- Jade green
- Bollywood glamour
- Navy blue
- All shades of pink
- All shades of gray
"Their eclectic approach is classic, contemporary, global, and comfortable which often results in pairing a pedigreed antique with an economical piece. The final product can result in rooms that are timeless, have style and are fresh and personal."
Thanks for visiting us today on decor8 and thank you for the tips and the gorgeous glimpses into your portfolio.